2016-10-21

Witches in Fiction 2016 - Hope



        Let me tell you a little bit about Raquel. She is a young woman who lives in a small flat in London with three cats. She works as a temp, has food allergies and wears shoes that are a size too big. She has a big heart and an awkward laugh. I am very fond of Raquel and I try to take good care of her. I get her up on time, make sure she remembers to stock up on milk and I make her linger by a nice smelling flower just a moment longer than she would have herself. A couple of times I have lead her down streets where someone else has dropped some coins, or even a tenner. Maybe she thinks she's just lucky, I don't know. The cats know about me, of course. Cats always do.

To the woman two doors down, Raquel symbolizes freedom. The woman herself was married by the age of eighteen, and a mother three times over by twenty-five. As far as she's concerned her life was already over by then. But when she sees Raquel walking past her window in her colorful skirts, headphones in her ears, softly singing along, the older woman gets a glimpse of hope. It is always mixed with some regret, but the feeling reminds her that she is not dead yet. Nothing is too late. In a young man on the underground Tuesday and Thursday mornings, Raquel invokes curiosity and desire (and a small amount of fear). One morning he spotted her running down the steps while the tram doors were closing and he got in the way of them to give her three precious extra seconds. The smile Raquel gave him made the young man think about the future, about love.

Then who am I, you may ask? I don't have a name, but I have been called a number of things; Fate, coincidence, luck. I am not the hero of this story, I am simply a catalyst. I make sure my charges are where they need to be at any given time, but they are the ones who provide others with that ever important sense of meaning, of purpose. I have hundreds of charges all over the world but Raquel is something special, with the way she seems to instantly awaken other people's memories, dreams and desires. Just yesterday, she inspired a man to reach out to a daughter he hadn't spoken to in years, and she defused a fight between two sisters with that awkward laugh of hers. Aren't humans wondrous?



http://magalyguerrero.com/



I love dear Magaly's Witches in Fiction's title this year:
Spelling Healing into a Rotting World. I wanted - nay, I needed - to write
something uplifting, hopeful. It's highly unusual for me (maybe I have run into
one of the charges..? ;)) so I'm unsure of the result, but I hope you liked it!
Now hop on over to her blog and the other participants' blogs,
and get your seasonal dose of healing words.





 




25 kommentarer:

  1. Ms Misantropia, what a sweet piece of fiction for us and the world to heal ourselves with... So true we need to hope each single day and also to believe that life is beautiful and we should live it happily!
    Cudos to Magaly's Witches in fiction!

    SvaraRadera
  2. So sweet, this mornings smile you gave me. A unique take on Fate ☺️

    SvaraRadera
  3. This was so full of the warmth of every day magic. I really liked the way you characterized Fate.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Made my Friday even better.

    SvaraRadera
  5. This is awesome!!❤️ The part where you mention Raquel as "she inspired a man to reach out to a daughter he hadn't spoken to in years, and she defused a fight between two sisters with that awkward laugh of hers" is an amazing image and feeling. Inspirational write❤️


    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    SvaraRadera
  6. love this! I want to draw Raquel..I feel very inspired by this story, thank you.

    SvaraRadera
  7. I enjoyed your writing. It was very engaging. Well done.

    SvaraRadera
  8. I liked it very much. As an older tired woman I am grateful to the fates for the sparking souls they push into my path :D XXX

    SvaraRadera
  9. This is fabulous! I love it!
    blessings
    ~*~

    SvaraRadera
  10. Lovely new look at fate and the story is truly inspiring. Great write, thank you, xoxo Oma Linda

    SvaraRadera
  11. A beautiful and extraordinary story. Love the freedom Raquel represents, and more so the joy she brings to others. And the modest narrator of the story, simply brilliant!

    SvaraRadera
  12. I love all the perspectives and gives my mind a twist on Fate.

    SvaraRadera
  13. I think your uplifting-tale-experiment shows perfect results. I love what Raquel and the narrator represent for the characters in the story, and for the rest of us. I, too, felt the need to go high for this party--maybe we've been breathing the same dreams? I hope so. And I hope they fill us with wonderful things.

    SvaraRadera
  14. Such an amazing story! I truly enjoyed it this Friday evening (where I live is evening now :) ), with a cup of hot coffee and a soft blanket. Thank you!

    SvaraRadera
  15. Thanks for sharing your lovely story, I'd like to hear more about these intriguing characters!

    SvaraRadera
  16. That was wonderful, Ms. Misantropia. Such a lovely read. <3

    SvaraRadera
  17. May we be all catalysts for hope and love. I am glad that the little helpers around to nudge us in the right directions. Thank you for such a lovely story!

    SvaraRadera
  18. You are such a gifted writer, Ms Misantropia! I was instantly drawn into your story and so curious to discover the identity of the narrator.

    SvaraRadera
  19. Thank you for a lovely, hopeful story. It's what we all need in these shadowy times.

    SvaraRadera
  20. Your story is very beautiful and it pulled me in right away. What's more, Raquel, the woman, and the young man on the tram were so vivid and full of life! You are really talented <3

    SvaraRadera
  21. Love this story so much!!! Thank you! Big Hugs and Many Blessings!

    SvaraRadera
  22. So much hope in this story, and it made me smile, sort of a deep down satisfied grin that sometimes a stranger can give without even knowing they have imparted joy, the serendipity of healing this rotton world has been captured in this tale - magic xox

    SvaraRadera
  23. I LOVE this story! So true yet seldom thought of. It gave me hope (*teardrop*). Thank you for sharing this one. We all need to share love, hope and light! Hugs, Rasz

    SvaraRadera
  24. Nu väntar jag bara på fortsättningen ☺💜

    SvaraRadera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...