2016-10-12

Haunted Humpday 5 - spooky fall shows




I am very late to the party this year which means I've missed out on
the first four Haunted Humpdays - but I am joining in for the last three!
 For my first installment I thought I'd share my favorite spooky fall shows.



American Horror Story: My Roanoke Nightmare (season 6)



I am a big fan of AHS, although some seasons have been better (Coven, Hotel)
than others (Asylum, Freak Show). One of the show's biggest strengths is that
every season deals with a new story line, and new horrors, in a new setting.

Season 6 so far is presented as a reenacted/dramatized true story documentary,
about an interracial couple who move into an old haunted house in red neck country.
Troubling visions, burning corpses, ghosts, witches and Lost Colony lore - galore!

The AHS writers have always been a bit cooky in their gore but so far
this season has mostly been dark, although very entertaining and with great actors.
But the producers are hinting at a big turn around mid-season, and I can't wait.



 Dead of summer



I was pleasantly surprised to find this new 80's throw back horror series airing
on Swedish television. Not only does it manage to pack in Satanic rituals,
dark history, masked murderers, ghostly visions and campy gore
- it also makes the viewer care about the characters by providing
interesting back stories and realistic developments.

 If you are a horror fan you will enjoy the homage to various
old horror movies. If you are a feminist you will appreciate
the character and gender diversity, and interesting female leads.



The Exorcist



We're only 3 episodes in, but so far the show exceeds my expectations.
I never cared for the 1973 movie because as an atheist, religious superstitions
just don't scare me (but I love the movie Constantine). But the international cast,
eerie atmosphere and creepy possession scenes work, and the writers
have changed the characters and story line just enough to pique my interest.




I also thought I'd quickly mention a couple of 2016 horror movies
I've seen recently (since my last 'quick hits') that you may want to put
on your October horror watch list (if you have one):




10 Cloverfield Lane is a suspenseful and well acted movie.
The less you read about it before viewing the better!

Lights Out is a pretty standard horror movie with a scary entity
terrorizing a family, but well done (and plus for cute guy :)).

Holidays is an anthology and by no means a masterpiece,
but some of the short stories are entertaining.




https://marfibradford.blogspot.se/


Make sure to visit our fabulous hostess for more Halloween fun!
Next week I hope to have fought off this nasty cold and gotten
my house in order, so I can share some of my seasonal decor with you.

Happy Humpday!




 




15 kommentarer:

  1. I heard good things about The Exorcist too. Back in the day, I read the book and saw the original movie.

    SvaraRadera
  2. There are so many shows I haven't even started watching yet.
    I gave up on Hannibal and American Horror Story after their first seasons. I also gave up on The Walking Dead, because it's just gone on too long, now.
    I might give 'Holidays' a go, though.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Haven't seen the series Exorcist. However, the 1973 movie was, I found, more of a comedy than horror ('73 special effects made it difficult to take anything about the movie seriously).

    SvaraRadera
  4. Looks like a great list, thanks for sharing. I found that some seasons of AHS were more interesting than others also.
    Sounds like you had a great trip to the UK! So sorry you ended up with a cold afterwards, that always happens to me, too. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    SvaraRadera
  5. I have not watched ahs since coven, I tried to watch hotel and kept losing interest, thank you for talking a bit about the current season, I may give it a try now.
    You always have good shows or movie suggestions.
    Hope your cold gets gone soon.
    Thanks for joining in this week.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your decorations!
    Have a happy haunted humpday:-)

    SvaraRadera
  6. Interesting things to watch I recently watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. It was an interesting movie that completely had me by surprised. I pretty near went through the ceiling with fear.

    I'm not bothering this year Halloween decor as I'm in a transition of place. Never mind theres always next year.

    SvaraRadera
  7. Thanks for sharing these!!! They sound excellent! Constantine is one of my favourite movies!

    SvaraRadera
  8. Thanks for the suggestions.

    SvaraRadera
  9. Horror gives me nightmares so not sure if I'll watch any, but good post!

    SvaraRadera
  10. You scared me a little with the visuals from the movies... For some reason even though I love horror genre such movies started affecting me too much, like I really get scared after watching any of them, thinking that something eerie could be crawling in my dark room... Hence I opted out of watching the Lights out... Thanks for sharing your favourites with us :))

    SvaraRadera
  11. Looks like there are going to be some interesting things for me to look forward to watching when and if they hit netflix. AHS will, we are going to watch Hotel soon. The movies look pretty good too. We've been wanting to see Lights Out for a while now.
    Great to see you joining the fun, I really hope you get to feeling better soon. *hugs*

    SvaraRadera
  12. I actually quite enjoyed The Exorcist movie. But William Friedkin's best movie remains The French Connection. I need to watch more horror. I have very little time this year. But I read a fair deal.

    SvaraRadera
  13. I've watched a few episodes of AHS, but for some reason... I've never been able to get into it. I wonder why...

    SvaraRadera
  14. I'm looking forward to The Exorcist too, it seems interesting, but I'm still busy with the last season of Penny Dreadful...:) I could never get into AHS, though.

    SvaraRadera
  15. I really enjoyed Dead of Summer and am liking this season of AHS. I've been DVR-ing The Exorcist and haven't watched yet, but hope it is good.
    blessings
    ~*~

    SvaraRadera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...