2016-07-14

July garden talk



 


To a gardener July is a time of waiting. Most of the organizing, planting
and even the brunt of the weeding is over, as many plants are nearing the end
of their bloom. And yet it's still to hot and dry to start the autumn transplanting,
splitting of perennials and serious pruning. Also too early for most harvesting.
Obviously this is the time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of one's spring labors,
but as you all know I suck at just sitting back and enjoying anything.




As you may remember we have deer eating their way through the garden
every night, so I have been forced to plan the planting outside of the patio
accordingly. Deer don't much care for herbs so I have been preparing sage,
oregano, rosemary, lemon balm and mint to be planted between the lavender bushes.
I'm keeping the beautiful catnip on the patio, so as not to attract more feral cats.
I'm missing thyme and tarragon, but honestly I wouldn't know where to fit them in.




We had a violent storm the other night, and the plum tree broke in three places.
It is a sad sight, those hundreds and hundreds of plums all gone to waste.
Some of the sunflowers also died, I hope the remaining 20 make it through.
(In the picture below you can see how much they've grown in just 3 weeks).




 I am spending more time on Instagram than on Blogger these days,
but that will probably change once autumn rolls around again.
Next weekend though, I will certainly be here, having Mad Tea with all of you :)







 
 



9 kommentarer:

  1. Your garden looks great, shame about the plum tree though. I would've cried. I love plums, especially in pie!

    SvaraRadera
  2. What a lovely garden! Thank you for sharing your green space!

    SvaraRadera
  3. That is a pity about the plum! Can anything be salvaged? Your sunflowers look luscious!

    SvaraRadera
  4. The carrots remind me of the time we used to pick fruits and vegetables in my uncle's garden. I envy you to be able to maintain such a nice garden... And with deers!

    SvaraRadera
  5. I forgot it's hot there! The garden looks lovely!

    SvaraRadera
  6. Oh, the poor plum tree! Gorgeous looking carrots, and the sunflowers are fantastic! ♥

    SvaraRadera
  7. I'm sorry about the plum tree, plums are so tasty. Is there any part of the tree that can be saved?
    Wow, those sun flowers look amazing, I'm sorry you lost some.
    I love your garden, it is beautiful and inviting! Can't wait to visit it during the Mad Tea Party. I hope you are feeling better *hugs*

    SvaraRadera
  8. Gorgeous garden!! I am so sorry about your plum tree! I hope it will be ok! I love sunflowers! Yours are massive! WOW! I'm sorry you lost some of your sunflowers too! July I find is a weird month, it's like February for me. Kind of in-between months! LOL! Big Hugs!

    SvaraRadera
  9. So sorry about the plum. We, too, just had a storm that took some branches with it, including most of a neighbor's apple tree and several oaks.

    I don't have deer, since they frown on city traffic and on climbing seven flight of stair. I only have to keep an eye for birds, especially certain blue jay... I followed your route and place a huge citronella between the tomato and the pepper--the blue jay doesn't care for the smell, I think (or I hope).

    I love, love, love your garden posts. Can't wait to sip your tea party! ;-)

    SvaraRadera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...