2015-12-20

Yule candy recipes



After mentioning how I'm in charge of the Yule candy each year in my last post
I had a few inquiries about what candy I make. I wrote a Yule candy post
almost to the date two years ago, with pictures of the candies, bread and cakes.
However, in that post I did not include the actual recipes. So here goes:




Chocolate-oatmeal-coconut balls, 40 pcs

200 g normal salted butter
2,5 dl sugar
6 dl oats
1 dl cocoa powder
½ dl vanilla powder
3-4 tbl spoons cold coffee/espresso
2 tbl spoons desiccated coconut
(+ 2 dl desiccated coconut)

Mix everything together thoroughly, starting with the sugar and butter.
I usually crumble up the oatmeal a bit extra, to avoid big flakes in the dough.
Refrigerate for at least an hour, then roll into little balls and roll in coconut.
Refrigerate again for at least an hour before eating. Lasts about a week
in the refrigerator but cannot be frozen. My absolute favorite Yule candy!





Peanut butter fudge, 20 pcs

This is the recipe I use. In Sweden we use vanilla powder instead of
vanilla extract, but it works just as well. And instead of using unsalted butter
and then adding salt, I just use normal salted butter. I have never made
these with chocolate chips, but I'm sure it would be delicious!





Chewy chocolate caramel, 30 pcs

50 g normal salted butter
1 dl full cream
1 dl sugar
½ dl brown/demerara sugar
½ dl golden treacle/syrup
2 tbl spoons cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt the butter in a pan, then add everything else while stirring.
Let boil for 20-30 min, depending on how hard you want the caramel/toffee.
Stir now and again and use the Cold Water Candy test. Lightly brush
a paper baking sheet with oil and put into a 20x20 cm tray, pour in the hot candy
and let cool. Cut into little squares with sharp knife and wrap individually.
These last for a long time in the refrigerator and can also be frozen.

(If you leave out the cocoa, let it boil until hard and add some finely
chopped almonds you have made another Swedish Yule candy - 'Knäck'.)



This year I am also trying out homemade 'Bounty' (coconut candies)
for the first time. I will report back once I have tried out the recipe!




 




32 kommentarer:

  1. Delicious! I might need to try the Chocolate-oatmeal-coconut balls. They look amazing :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. They are a hit. Cinnamon man brought them to work today. And I'm sure you could make them vegan with margarine instead of butter, if you wanted.

      Radera
  2. Peanut butter fudge?! Omg I'm making that.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I started making it only 2-3 years ago and everyone LOVES it :) I'm the only one, it seems, who isn't a fan of peanuts.

      Radera
  3. Those recipes look delicious. I especially am intrigued by the oatmeal one, and can almost taste the chewy chocolate with caramel. god Jul and Yule xoxo Su

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you!
      They are all pretty simple to make, so you should give it a go!

      Radera
  4. Svar
    1. Yes, you really only need those - and cocoa :)

      Radera
  5. Oh I LOVE these kinds of balls! My Swedish sister (Swedish student who came to live with us for a year) used to make them for us. I remember how good they were.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. They are my favorites and I have had so many versions over the years, I can vouch for this recipe being the best you've had :)

      Radera
  6. Holy smokes! Those look delicious. Maybe I'll wait until the holiday hoopla is done to try some of them. :) Thanks for sharing.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. They are all pretty easy to make actually, and we appreciate the natural alternative to candies out there.

      Radera
  7. Such a "sweet" post, everything looks delicious. Merry Yule!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, and Merry Yule to you too!

      Radera
  8. Jaa, julgodis :-). Knäck utan mandel är ett måste i den här familjen.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Knäck tillhörde förra generationen i vår släkt, bara mamma vill ha. Så nu blir det kola istället!

      Radera
  9. Coconut is my favourite type of Christmas candy! ♥

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I just made homemade "Bounty" and they turned out amazing - then you'd love them!

      Radera
  10. Those chewy caramels look like my kind of treat! I'm so done baking right now though. I'll wait until January until I try them, I think. ;)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I have had Yule candy every night for a week, I think I'm about done too. But January is always long and dull, so homemade candy would be perfect then.

      Radera
  11. I'm with Insomniac-- love the sound of those chewy chocolate caramels!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I'm glad I can inspire people! I have always wondered if treacle/syrup is the same in the States as here...

      Radera
  12. These sound delicious! I made cinnamon salted caramel very much the sme way as your chewy chocolates. Yum!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. That sounds divine too! I think many of us share "candy-ancestry".

      Radera
  13. That Chewy Chocolate Caramel is to die for. Yum!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I wonder if it would make it through customs if I tried sending you some...

      Radera
  14. gosh i think i need to try the chewy caramel one day *lol* probably would add green or black food color or edible glitter as always thoug but damn, they look tasty O_O°

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I have never seen edible glitter in our stores but I've been dying to try it out - go for it!

      Radera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...