2014-12-21

Our Jul home




I would like to apologize in advance for the poor quality of the pictures
in this post. Not only is the iPad not co-operating in uploading
pictures, but every single picture also turns out faded and blurry
- and I haven't the means to fix them up before posting at the moment.




Last night we had my cousins over for dinner.
I had made lasagna and saffron cake, but like true Swedes we started off
with glögg and ginger cookies. We also had a lovely fire going
and we drank wine and chatted well into the early hours. It was great.




Every year I want a real tree, for the look and for the scent.
I want to sit close by it on cold December nights and feel nostalgic,
elated, depressed, content and stressed out (I'm a complicated woman).
This year I decided to go with a miniature tree, because we don't
have much space and because Cinnamon man is allergic.




Really small trees are almost impossible to find where we live,
but the father of the manager of the restaurant next door
doubles as a tree salesman during December, and he was
kind enough to hook us up with this little baby - for free!




Swedes are old-fashioned when it comes to Jul and normally
don't use colorful lights in our trees. We prefer the all white big ones
that look like candles. But my man is American and because we needed
smaller lights than usual, I made a concession - so now we have both :)




This year I skipped on the red decor in favor of white (and purple, as always).
I just felt eurghh when I pulled out the red lanterns, table cloths and tomtar.
This year I'm all about firs and stars - and a mix between rustic and glam.






Merry Everything to all of you!
How are you guys spending the holidays?







 











20 kommentarer:

  1. Beautiful decorations and that wee tree is SO sweet! Solstice blessings to you and Cinnamon Man!

    SvaraRadera
  2. I love your decor! The purple and white looks gorgeous. : )

    SvaraRadera
  3. So pretty! This is our last year for a fake tree. We don't have room to store the big box in our new apartment and we don't know where we're going to be next year (and if there's going to be enough room), so we will be getting real trees from now on. I love white lights -- it's traditional and more akin to the whole "returning of the light" of Yule.

    Merriest of Yules, dear lady! And a Happy New Year.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Your home is so very lovely! Happy Jul and Happy New Year! *hugs*

    SvaraRadera
  5. There's just something about a white Swedish fireplace - it's so beautiful!

    Mmmmm.... glögg. And Wassail. I haven't done either of those yet this year. But I did discover another festive drink I'm liking a little too much ... one jigger Kahlua, one jigger Vodka; fill the glass with half eggnog, half Coke. Oh. My. God. ;)

    A Very Merry Everything to you and CM too, Ms. Misantropia!

    SvaraRadera
  6. Christmas here in my family will have heavy Swedish influences... More on my blog. Lovely pictures as usual.

    SvaraRadera
  7. Ohhh it looks amazing! I love to see Swedish decor from actual Swedes, because you are generally quite stylish people ;)

    SvaraRadera
  8. I think it's clear that you know what you're doing;-)
    I haven't put up a Christmas tree since Grammar school (well, my family did). I always go for wreaths and garlands. Maybe next year.

    SvaraRadera
  9. I love the combination of white and purple, tranquil yet festive. :) Happy holidays!

    SvaraRadera
  10. I love the colourful deorations! You really have a hand for displays!

    SvaraRadera
  11. Magical and comfy is your beautiful home! I love the purple! You are such a stylish gal!
    I am striving for calm this holiday season! Sleep more! Stress Less! A Very Merry Christmas
    dear friend! Huge Hugs from northern Canada...aka the North Pole! xoxo

    SvaraRadera
  12. Oh I'm glad you were able to share some Jul with us. I love all your decor, so comfy & cozy.I'm hosting Christmas Eve with my Mom and stepdad, and brother. Christmas morning the kids open their gifts, then we head out to my Dad's house. Brightest blessings for the end of the year and the new one to come.

    SvaraRadera
  13. Mysigt med en liten gran :D och jag gillar ert lila pynt!

    Jag ska jobba hela julen :P men vi firar imorgon kväll hos min mans föräldrar.

    SvaraRadera
  14. The pics look fine. Love your wee tree (and free!).

    You said ginger... and now I want tea and cookies.

    Happiest Jul, my dear lady!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. P.S. I just received some purple and white joy! ♥

      Radera
  15. Ah, your house is beautiful! Many hugs! Happy Christmas!

    SvaraRadera
  16. Beautiful decorations. You really have a talent for that. Happy holidays.

    SvaraRadera
  17. The blurriness is merely added atmosphere :) Poor Cinnamon Man..hope his allergy isn't too bad. I react to being scratched by artificial pine trees. So, there you go. ;) Lovely tree!

    SvaraRadera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...