2014-12-12

Horror quick hits




Housebound

Feisty Kylie (Morgana O'Reilly) is confined to her mother's house
under house arrest and pretty soon strange things start to happen.
She learns that the house has a dark history, as she is aided by
a goofy ghost-busting police man in finding out the truth.




I really liked Housebound, it was hilarious and full of twists and turns.
It's an Australian movie and a great pick if you're kind of a scaredy-cat,
since it's equal parts comedy and horror. Also passes the Bechdel test.




Open Grave

A man wakes up in a mass grave with no memory of how he got there
- or who he is. He is fished out by a mute woman and soon finds himself
at a house in the woods with a group of other people as lost as he is.
When they try to find a way out of the woods they stumble on more corpses.




Open Grave is very entertaining - as long as you don't over-think it.
The set-up is interesting and the movie is both fast-paced and gruesome.
At the end though, plot holes and voice-overs will annoy some viewers.
The movie doesn't pass the Bechdel test. The gender ratio of the main
characters is 4 to 2 favoring males, and one of the female characters is mute.




As Above So Below

Scarlet (Perdita Weeks) is basically a young Lara Croft, searching
the world for archaeological treasures, with little regard for her own
(or others') safety. She enlists a group of urban explorers to search for
the Philosopher's Stone in the catacombs of Paris, and chaos ensues.




Haters of hand-held cameras will turn this off within minutes,
but I enjoyed A.A.S.B. much more than I thought I would.
The movie barely passes the Bechdel test. The gender ratio
is once again 4 to 2, favoring males, and I don't actually
know if the two women really ever talked to each other.






 





14 kommentarer:

  1. I love how you have gender ratios, its great

    SvaraRadera
  2. I wish more people would take the Bechdel test into consideration when writing movies, but at least it exists now!

    SvaraRadera
  3. We want to see As Above So Below. It looks like fun. I will mention the other two to Amanda and see if I can get her interested in watching them with me. :)

    SvaraRadera
  4. thanks for letting me know about the hand held camera...I wanted to watch As above so below...
    but I hate that effect.
    have you watched the Babadook?I enjoyed that one:-)

    SvaraRadera
  5. Once again, thanks for sharing your movies review. This is something I truly appreciate. Housebound sounds like a nice and interesting film, so I will be watching in on the holidays :)

    SvaraRadera
  6. Yes! Love new horror movie ideas! I recently watched The Babadook and was left incredibly disappointed, so I want something to inspire my love of horror again. I found that film incredibly depressing, not sure if you've seen it!

    SvaraRadera
  7. Tack för tipsen! :D Åtminstone 2 av dem verkar vara filmer jag skulle gilla.

    SvaraRadera
  8. I was going to watch As Above So Below but now I have two other movies I want to watch too. :) You make smart and compact reviews, I like them really much!

    SvaraRadera
  9. I suspect I will be watching Housebound pretty soon. I love horror that makes me giggle. ;-D

    SvaraRadera
  10. Open Grave is my favorite of this list. Now I'm about to watch REC 4.

    SvaraRadera
  11. When Christmas comes, I watch medieval fantasy.

    SvaraRadera
  12. I love that you use the Bechdel Test!

    SvaraRadera
  13. Housebound was fun, and surprisingly good. Open Grave had a good premise but lost it on the way. As Above So Below was absolutely horrible! *said the expert*

    SvaraRadera
  14. As above so below verkar vara inspirerad av kameran man hittade djupt inne i Paris katakomber (av det lilla jag sett av trailern). Den 15 minuter långa dokumentären man kan hitta på youtube om ett filmteam som söker efter mysteriet med den funna kameran är verkligen gastkramande. Inget för en klaustrofobiker.

    SvaraRadera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...