2014-11-18

Quick Hit 2: 2014 Sci-Fi movies - Divergent and Snowpiercer



As I stated in my first Quick Hit post for Sci-Fi month,
I have decided to split my 2014 movie reviews into two parts;
Entertainment and Equal opportunity facts. Follow the link above
for more info - I am leaving out the feminist rant this time :)
 


Divergent

In a future where society is divided into five factions,
all with different tasks, responsibilities - even personality traits -
every teenager has to choose a faction - and stick with it for life.
Those that don't succeed within their faction become outcasts.

Tris Prior (Shailene Woodley) shocks her parents by choosing 'Dauntless',
a faction consistent of fearless soldiers. During her screenings
she finds out she has traits from all the factions, that she is 'Divergent';
a type not allowed in society. As she struggles to hide her true self
she realizes that there are other, bigger, dangers lurking.




I should state that I have not read the book this movie is based on,
and that the target audience is obviously teenage girls. As such,
I was surprised (but not disappointed) at the level of violence.
Several young women really kick ass! Except for some scenes
with the annoying 'Dauntless' crowd, I found it entertaining.

Equal opportunity facts:
Main protagonist: Female
Passing the Bechdel test: Yes




 Snowpiercer (English with some Chorean spoken)

Sometime in the near future a substance to hinder global warming
is sprayed into the atmosphere, instead causing the entire world to freeze.
The only survivors now travel the globe indefinitely, on a long self sustaining
super train - the upper classes in the front and the poor in the tail end.

The people in the tail live in filth and are treated appallingly,
leading to an uprising lead by Curtis (Chris Evans). The group's plan
is to make their way to the front and take over the engine, but to get there
they have to go through every wagon, each one with its own surprises.




Even to a movie buff like myself this was a new experience!
Snowpiercer is gritty and dark, but also bizarre and morbidly humorous.
Bioshock gamers will recognize some influences, both in sets and plot.
Tilda Swinton is brilliant and Chris Evans is the obvious anti-hero.

Equal opportunity facts:
Main protagonist: Male
Passing the Bechdel test: Undecided
(Two instances of women speaking to a room full of people,
but no actual conversation between women)







 Thank you Kelley, Asti, Leanne and Rinn 
for hosting this interesting and fun challenge!

I will leave you off with my top 5 2013 Sci-Fi movies:

Elysium (Matt Damon) - Man fighting futuristic injustices
Gravity (Sandra Bullock) - Woman alone on space ship
World War Z (Brad Pitt) - Man vs zombie apocalypse
World's End (Simon Pegg) - Men getting drunk in pubs
Dark Skies (Keri Russel) - Family suffers alien visitors


What is your favorite Sci-Fi movie from the last few years?





 





33 kommentarer:

  1. Jag var besviken över hur Divergent slutade, jag tyckte det var plötsligt och konstigt :O Men annars var den bra, lite väl lång kanske.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Jag tror att det är så första delen i bok-trilogin slutar, men jag förstår vad du menar. Uppföljaren till filmen är säkert redan planerad.

      Radera
  2. I want to see Divergent but there is something about Shailene Woodley I find unbearable LOL. Should I try to suffer through her?

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I know exactly what you mean! That's why it took me a while to go see it. But she was much better than I thought, more natural.

      Radera
  3. The first sounds good except for the violence. I like the concept. Thank you for the reviews. xoox

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Some of the "training" scenes were maybe a bit much for younger kids, but they've been showing us much more violent and bloody scenes in boy's movies since decades back, so I think it was about time.

      Radera
  4. Pacific Rim, hands down. To paraphrase Honest Trailers, it's the best dumb movie/dumbest good movie in a long time. Robots punching monsters in the face? Yes, please.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I still haven't seen Pacific Rim, because I heard it was dumb and pointless. But when you put it like that... :)

      Radera
    2. They show you the monster BEFORE the title scene, everyone is excessively pretty to look at, a woman doesn't get fridged to provide the male protagonist with manpain, the heroes aren't all Americans, the Japanese woman is allowed to act like a Japanese woman, the nerds are treated like competent professionals by the Jaeger pilots, Idris Elba responds to insubordination in a way that will make your heart explode, everything is gorgeous, the soundtrack is rad, and the ending was refreshing. It was everything I liked about Independence Day, turned up to 11.

      Radera
  5. Did it annoy you with Divergent how she comes from a pretty tame faction but can immediately do pretty amazing physical feats? Even if you had the potential for it, doesn't mean your muscles are ready for it!

    I thought Snowpiercer was amazing!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes, a bit, but I got a feeling that in that future everyone was very healthy and fit, whatever faction they were from. It was hard to tell how much time was supposed to have passed while she was in training, but maybe in the book it is clearer.

      Radera
  6. I absolutely hate movies featuring teenagers, plus Divergent looked a little silly to me; I mean a pretty, fragile girl who's never had any training suddenly turns into this...uhm, supersoldier....no, thanks. Frankly I think, that such an surrealistic portrayal hurts women more, than it helps them...

    I liked Snowpiercer and Elysium was entertaining as well. I'm not so fond of World War Z and Gravity. My favorite sci from last year was Edge of Tomorrow. :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I have the same problem with teenage movies, and there were plenty of juvenile characters in the movie - but I actually liked the lead, both the actress and the character. And we've had unrealistic portrayals of boys and men doing the same things for decades, so I think it's about time a woman gets to!

      Radera
    2. Nah, here I'm more bothered by the fact, that she just suddenly becomes that badass...you know it would have been weird, even for a guy. :)

      Radera
  7. I LOVED the movie Divergent! I think about it all the time as well, wonderful story and sooooo
    relaVent ...xoDebi

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Then this will make you happy to hear: The second in the series is already done and will premiere in 2015, the third in 2016 and fourth 2017 :)

      Radera
  8. "I was surprised (but not disappointed) at the level of violence." No wonder we are friends, lol!

    I haven't read the Divergent books, but you've made me want them.

    Hm, I'm not sure what my favorite movies in the genre were... Elysium was at the very top, though... It nearly broke my heart.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes, Elysium was a very nice surprise for me, much more emotional than I thought it would be. There aren't enough sad/bitter sweet endings out there!

      Radera
  9. I need to make November scifi month. It is usually the month of miseries.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Really you should, it's the only thing that has kept me blogging through this otherwise crappy month.

      Radera
  10. I did read the Divergent books and while they were entertaining they did not stick with me. I do really want to see Snowpiercer though, I think it is on my list on a streaming site. Now you've got me anxious to see it! Perhaps this weekend.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Snowpiercer was pretty amazing, but prepare for alot of bloody violence!

      Radera
  11. I haven't heard of Divergent :(

    My favourite sci-fi films from the past few years, have to be...

    The Mist, Looper and World's End.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I'm not sure I watched The Mist, have to look it up. I really enjoyed Looper and almost included it in my top 5, but it's from 2012 so it wouldn't be right :)

      Radera
  12. I was undecided about whether or not to see Divergent. I probably will, just not with Amanda because she has absolutely no desire to see it. Snowpiercer looks really good and I do love Tilda Swinton and Chris Evans. I don't know what my favorite Scifi movie would be. I haven't really had the chance to see many Scifi movies lately, Amanda and her family and our friends all want to watch horror movies or kids movies. So a lot of what I want to watch gets shuffled back to when ever I get the chance alone. World War Z was pretty good.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I was undecided about Divergent too, but I had to see what all the fuss was about :)
      I naturally watch horror movies more often too, but I've always been surrounded by people who are into Sci-Fi, so I've watched more and more over the years.

      Radera
  13. We just recently watched Snowpiercer , I give a thumbs up, what a wild ride.

    SvaraRadera
  14. Divergent is too Hunger Games for me, but Snowpiercer sounds cool! I haven't seen many SF movies in the last couple years; I really liked Pacific Rim though. ;)

    SvaraRadera
  15. Ok, now two people have recommended Pacific Rim, so I have to see it :)

    SvaraRadera
  16. Given to snarling fits of action, poetic ponderings, and idiosyncratic rumblings. No action-thriller but a dystopian, steampunky class parable for a world careening towards eco-disaster . . . and so the film goes, jarring or lulling or gloriously gonzo.

    Marlene
    Top rated Alaska Bear Viewing Tours Day Trips website

    SvaraRadera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...