2014-08-27

Haunted Humpday!



For me, harvesting the first pumpkins signals the beginning of the
autumn celebrations, and that usually happens around this time of year.
But since the pumpkins are late this year, and with everything that's been
going on with my mind and body lately, I notice that I am off schedule.

Since I haven't started decorating (or even really crafting) for fall
my first Haunted Humpday post will be about creepy shows and books. 






Two of our new favorite fall TV shows are The Strain and Intruders.
The first is a cross between CSI (but in this case, the CDC),
Dracula lore, classic zombie movies and a parasitic infection
- and it is just as hilariously nasty and curiously addictive as it sounds :)



 



The second is more of a mystery, think Millenium meets Bodysnatchers.
Before watching the first episode I read a review amply titled "Wait, what?" 
that prepared me for the confusion, and only two episodes have aired so far,
but if you liked X-files and Twin Peaks you will probably like this too.

And if you like crazy and creepy stuff but you still haven't caught up
with American Horror Story or Penny Dreadful - it's high tide!






I started my reading season last week by delving into the works
of Swedish crime writer Ingrid Hedström. She is a journalist and author
with extensive historical and political knowledge, and her writing
is modern, fast-paced and unsentimental. She has won awards
and her books have been translated into several languages.

Her detective series is centered around investigative judge Martine Poirot,
who lives in the fictional Belgian town Villette. (The author lived in Belgium
during the 90's, why the series is also taking place there and (mostly)
during that decade.) The two first books were both quick and entertaining
'who-dunnit' intrigues and I just picked up the third in the series.






Thank you to Marfi for hosting this great party and getting us
in the mood for Halloween! Head on over to Incipient Wings to see
her wonderful decorations and crafts. I look forward to seeing
what everyone else does/makes/writes in the coming weeks.


In the spirit of spookiness I'd also like mention
another lovely autumn blog party coming up;



http://pagan-culture.blogspot.se/2014/08/witches-in-fiction-2014-crafting.html



Head on over to Magaly at Pagan Culture to get the scoop!






 





39 kommentarer:

  1. I literally just started Twin Peaks last night, I'm assuming I'm going to love it since everyone has suggested it to me! I'm very excited! Definitely checking out the rest of your list too. Yes yes Autumn is here, the leaves are turning orange and red and yellow where I am, are they turning there too?

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Re-watching Twin Peaks with 20 years of feminist awareness is certainly different than it was when I was a teenager and dark quirky shows were sparse. But I still have a crush on Dale Cooper :)

      Radera
  2. The pilot of "The Strain" was soo bad, acting-wise especially (David Bradley excluded). Surprisingly enough, it got better - and it keeps getting better; loved the vampire squad on the last episode! And Richard Sammel's acting is so realistic, it's disturbing.

    I was actually going to watch "Intruders" tonight (I really like the cast). Hopefully it will stay on air long enough for the story and characters to evolve.

    The last book I read was a month ago and it was about pottery in ancient Greece. It doesn't count, does it?:-/

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Agreed! The first episode was so bad I didn't want to keep watching, but my man said we should give it one more chance - and now we're loving it :)

      I'm more unsure about Intruders so far, but I like James Frain so I hope they make it work.

      Radera
  3. *Taking notes for things to watch and read* Until now your recommendations were always good!

    SvaraRadera
  4. Happy Haunted Humpday, I'll have to look into some of those shows.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. You really should, and Happy Humpday to you too!

      Radera
  5. Thank you for playing along!!! I agree your recommendations are always good!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, Marfi! I already look forward to next week :)

      Radera
  6. I still have loads of Doctor Who and Torchwood to catch up with, but The Strain seems interesting, thanks for the suggestions! ^^

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I never got caught up in the Doctor Who craze, but everyone always recommends it to me. I should probably check it out :) I can't stand the Torchwood actor though.

      Radera
  7. Sounds like you are already with your tv line up and reading books to curl up with in the Autumn season. :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Maybe you're right, it's just the creative part of me that still slumbers :)

      Radera
  8. I started The Strain, but I have such a hard time really keeping up with TV shows on a weekly basis, especially in the almost 7 years I've been with Skoora. She prefers to wait until a whole season is out and then binge watch stuff. So, we will probably do that when it becomes available.
    I will look for those books, they sound very interesting!
    I hope you get to feeling better and are able to have fun this season! *hugs*

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. My man would agree with Skoora, and we do watch some shows that way (like The Americans and Orphan Black), but I like to have some routines every once in a while :)

      Thank you, I have some doctors' appointments coming up, and I hope to figure out my meds once and for all.

      Radera
  9. I have started my reading horror season as well. I start it usually around the beginning of September or late August. More and more in late August, actually. I am currently reading The Howling III.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I have never been one to read during summer, maybe because I've never had a job with a long summer vacation. Autumn/winter is my big reading season.

      Radera
  10. I just read a review about Intruders, actually. I haven't caught it yet, but the idea is intriguing. I'm enjoying the build up for all the Halloween parties and fests. I need to shake my muse and see if she has any spooky tales to be told.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I love reading people's own scary stories, but they need to be short and to the point. Then it doesn't matter if they're true or not :)

      Radera
  11. Woohoo! I love a good show to watch, and both of the ones you suggested sound right up my alley hehe.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I noticed you sewed a Witcher sign onto a pillow in your post. We just played WItcher 2, but I can't in good conscience recommend it on my blog because of all the sexism and objectifying of womens bodies. But it was a very intriguing and pretty game.

      Radera
  12. Love love love The Strain! Very good suggestion

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thanks, it's the perfect fall show, isn't it?

      Radera
  13. Lots of great recommendations <3

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. It's all I've got at the moment, but I'll be back :)

      Radera
  14. I will have to look up both of those shows!

    SvaraRadera
  15. Hah, more reading suggestions! I just bought Let the Right One In and Little Star but I'm saving them for this winter when I can read in my own comfortable bed. I'll add these to my pile. :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Sorry :) But where I'd recommend Let the Right One in to anyone, Hedström is more for cozy detective/crime readers.

      Radera
  16. Jag vill verkligen se Penny Dreadful!! Tack för de andra tipsen :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Jag har haft problem med Eva Green tidigare, men framför allt i säsongfinalen var hon fantastisk.

      Radera
  17. So not going to be watching the parasite one. Feel icky thinking about it. I loved American Horror Story Coven for Misty Day and all the witchy stuff, but I wasn't a fan of all the other series, so interested to see the next one. I am dying for the new seasons of Hemlock Grove and Penny Dreadful, which won't be until next year at least! At least Sleepy Hollow is back soon! It took gorgeous Ichabod and his anachronistic humour to get me through that without screaming and hiding, though!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. The worm part is definitely icky and initially put me off The Strain, but now I really like it - I just turn away when there's a creepy worm scene :)

      Season 2 of AHS was too dark and featured too much violence against women for me, but I liked season 1 and I LOVED season 3. I'm on the fence regarding Sleepy Hollow and don't know if I'll tune in this season.

      Radera
    2. Oh, my Piano Man says to let you know that he, too, will cover his eyes when they show the worms, lol!

      Radera
  18. Oh my freaking goodness! How is it that I didn't know that The Strain had been made into a TV show? It is only my favorite vampire trilogy in the whole universe. Can't wait to have a look-see!

    Sorry about your pumpkins. :-(

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. It's fabulous (as soon as you get past the first episode)!

      Radera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...