2014-04-24

Books and wisdom (teeth)



Is it just me, or has there been alot written about dentist appointments
lately in the blog world? It seems like that inside and outside spring cleaning
also includes some long overdue grooming. I know mine was.

This morning I visited the dentist for the first time in years. 6 years to be exact.
It turns out I have no cavities (yay!) but that this one wisdom tooth that's kinda
growing sideways into my cheek - yeah, that is going to be a problem.
I was given the option of a serious deep pocket clean and then investing
in speciality tooth brushes and other cleaning devices, or to have it pulled.

To me tooth pulling has always sounded like such an old fashioned way
to treat tooth issues, but when I was sitting there listening to all the work
I'd have to do for the rest of my life I just got tired. So I resigned to the torture.
 (Though the event itself won't take place for another month).

The dentist appointment was on the list of stuff I want to get done before my man
gets back, a haircut is another. Cleaning up the patio, doing my taxes and reading
The Engelsfors trilogy is also on there. I read the first book in the series yesterday.




The Engelsfors trilogy is a horror fantasy story about a group of teenagers
who discover that they are developing supernatural powers and who are
summoned together to fight an ancient evil. So far, so cliché. If you've watched
The Vampire Diaries, Ravenswood or even Charmed you get the gist.

Where The Circle is different is that these teenagers are Swedish
(think bullying, alcoholism, empty streets and dark forests) and that
many of them are pretty selfish and helpless, at least in the beginning.
In typical secularized Swedish fashion you also won't find much mention
of 'God' or other Christian beliefs. (Though this might change in later books).

I don't usually care for YA novels but I liked this one. I often feel that YA characters
are one-dimensional and un-relatable. My last attempt at a YA novel was Twilight
and I couldn't even get past page 60. The authors of The Circle however,
have circumvented this issue by quickly introducing several different
main characters and by setting a fast pace. It also deals with things like sex,
drugs and homosexuality without prudishness or judgment. 

From what I can gather, only the two first books have been translated
into English so far, but I think the third one - The Key - will be available
later this year. Since the two sequels have both received the highest praise
I have already ordered them at the library, hoping to pick them up next week.




 



24 kommentarer:

  1. I hate visiting the dentist, but have an appointment myself soon.
    You're right, everyone seems to be having tooth trouble alll at the same time lately.

    I've not heard of these books but they do sound as though they're worth a go.

    Not long before your love returns - so exciting!

    Have a lovely day :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. It is very exciting, thank you :)

      I only heard of the books a month ago and the 3rd one came out this year. I am really looking forward to reading them.

      Radera
  2. You're smart to get the tooth pulled, I think, Ms. Misantropia! I finally got my wisdom teeth pulled in my late 40's because they kept getting cavities. But I got put under for the operation - will you?

    Springtime must be the time we get all these things taken care of ... I went for a haircut for the first time in a couple of years just a few weeks ago! Good Lord, the hairdresser talked my ear off - it was exhausting! LOL

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. No, I won't be put out - I don't think we really do that over here. I guess I might have to take out the other one at some point too.

      You know, I cut my own hair too :) but this time I need someone to clean up the neck for me. I was really pleased with the shape I made the other week but it feels a bit uneven...

      Radera
  3. Yeah, get rid of that wisdom tooth. They're nothing but trouble.

    SvaraRadera
  4. I really like my dentist, he is a cute guy and even nice enough to motivate my phobic boyfriend to regular appointments! I had my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 14, so i kind of can't remeber how bad it was...

    I'm curious about the books, the sound pretty good! Even more stuf to add to my never ending to read list ;)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I wish it was all over since many years, but my wisdom teeth came in really late.

      I saw that the first book in the trilogy has been translated into German - 'Zirkel'. Let me know if you read and like it!

      Radera
  5. Best wishes with the dentist. I'm surprised that you still have them. Most people's mouths are not big enough, and they are pulled in the teen years. At one time they would of been useful, because by the time we grew old, we had no other teeth. You probably know that, but what you didn't know is that I wanted to be a dentist and hated it.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. My wisdom teeth grew in very late, I was almost 30. And they've only come in in my top jaw. At my last dentist appointment they told me the teeth would turn and start growing downwards but they really haven't.

      Radera
  6. I had two wisdom teeth taken out a couple years back, and I wasn't put under. If you are fortunate enough that your roots aren't curved, it will literally take seconds for them to pull them out, and you get to keep them to make jewelry out of! I know I will as soon as I get my hands on the proper tools and materials.

    I hope it goes well!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. We usually don't get put under in Sweden, but I've asked for some Valium :)
      I'm not sure about making jewelry, I'm not into the taxidermy thing - but maybe I can send them to you..? ;)

      Radera
  7. I have to have some dental work done as well, but I have to put it off for awhile since it will cost me well over $1,000. It's so upsetting to me that it costs so much just to have a few cavities filled.

    The books sound interesting enough. I couldn't get through Twilight either, I couldn't get through the 1st page. Of course, at the time I gave it a go, a cousin would not shut up about it. She was obsessed with it and after watching the movies, I really couldn't understand why. As far as the movies went, the secondary characters were far more interesting than the main characters.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I don't know how much pulling my tooth will cost yet, I forgot to ask while I was there...

      Except for stone(r) face Kristen Stewart I liked the first movie, but then it just went downhill.

      Radera
  8. I had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted. I didn't have any space for them. It wasn't too bad...

    Those books sound yummy.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I have only had two grow in, but I'm thinking about having both of them pulled while I'm at it.

      Radera
  9. The books sound neat! Onto the wish list, they go :) I much prefer having a tooth pulled than a nasty root canal. Good luck!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I don't actually know what a root canal is/entails. Sounds nasty though.

      Radera
  10. Will have to download the first book for my Kindle! Aren't wisdom teeth such an odd thing? I come from the belief that if it's naturally on my body it can't be so bad?! But everyone gets them removed and has pain from them. I was supposed to get mine pulled but I kept refusing. Now it's at the point where my dentist says they aren't an issue anymore! SO WEIRD!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I understand your sentiment, but our lifestyle is developing much faster than our bodies are. Though it seems more common to pull teeth, especially wisdom teeth, on your continent than in Sweden. Mine grew in so late I hadn't even considered it before.

      Radera
  11. I had a tooth pulled last month. It was awful, but within 24 hrs, I was okay. Good luck! There was a cool TV series called "The Circle" about a group of 6 young witches (boys and girls) -- I think it was by the same women who wrote the Vamp Diaries -- but they cancelled the show. I liked it a lot more than the Vamp Diaries because I got tired of the characters and the love triangle. How many years are we supposed to watch the same old thing? Apparently a lot 'coz that one's still on... I haven't heard of the books you mentioned though. It sounds like a dark but interesting series.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Oh yeah - I remember that show, and yes, the books are a little like that - though not as American obviously :)
      It's no wonder you haven't heard of them since they are Swedish (9 million people), but the first two are translated to several languages by now.

      Radera
  12. Ah, teeth... have been there recently ;)
    Although I normally stay away from young adult books, I might give The Circle a go... It sounds very... raw and real, which many books lack these days.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Swedish books are usually rawer and bleaker than other countries' - let me know if you like it!

      Radera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...