2014-02-18

Year without shopping - February update






My first few weeks of no clothes shopping has past almost without incident.
(If you want to read more about my decision, you can find the original post here.)
I have begun shopping my closet and fabric stash, mending a few things
and up-cycling others. I made a couple of casual dresses out of old clothes:


(Hmm, I just finished the second dress and didn't notice that the hem was crooked
until I posted the picture here... I'm going to have to fix that...)


A couple of years ago my mom bought herself a "hip" coat,
but soon realized that she would never use it so instead she gave it to me.
It's a pretty black poof-skirt trench coat, but it had some vinyl detailing
that I couldn't stomach, so it's just been sitting in my closet since then.
This week I removed the detailing and, even though it's a little big for me,
I think it will be the perfect spring coat!





I have found alot of inspiration on-line, for instance this amazing
wardrobe surgery up-cycling of old coats and this shift dress tutorial.
Making a basic 'little black dress' is next on my sewing agenda.




This month we also visited a charity flea market that I'm thinking of donating to.
It was a nice trip that brought me a few great non-clothing finds,
like 10 books for 25 SEK/4 USD and a beautiful bohemian
floor lamp (Cinnamon man's Valentine's gift for me :)).




The only hick-up this month was a purple scarf that has been
sitting in my shop for quite a while now. No-one but me seems to
appreciate the beauty of it, so last week I took it home...



I know there were a couple more of you who also
wanted to shop less this year - how is it going?




 




22 kommentarer:

  1. The floor lamp was such a great find! As for shopping, I am really particular so I hardly ever find things I actually like (said Grumpy).

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I too am very particular - but I think that's a good trait! (said Miserable :))

      Radera
  2. That is a very cool idea. I always have a quite limited wardrobe so overindulgence in clothing is not an issue for me. How many cat t-shirts does one really need, after all? Dodging the Fashion Police is my problem.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I don't know, cat t-shirts are pretty essential ;)
      I have realized that shopping isn't actually my problem - hoarding is. And I don't really know how to feel about that...

      Radera
  3. Congrats on saving money by being clever! I used to do that when I had more time. I think the dresses are lovely (with or without crooked hem), and the trench coat is very stylish! Good buy on the books, too! :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you!
      So...you are cleverer when you have more time? :)

      Radera
  4. Nice job on the upcycled dresses, Ms. Misantropia! I remember that I enjoyed the Acid Row book... Of course the purple scarf had to come home with you. Poor thing.

    Wow, that light! What a score! :o)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I have actually not read a Walters book in 10 years, so I know nothing of Acid Row. I was just happy to find crime in the original language (as were the flea market people - apparently no-one shops from he English shelf :)).

      Radera
  5. The new to you coat looks great on you! And I love the lamp, it looks so luxurious!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, I am still getting used to the coat. I'm not really "chic" :)

      Radera
  6. You're such a creative little miss!

    I love your upcycled dresses and coat, well done for not buying any new garments yet this year.

    I do love that lamp, what a thoughtful gift. Well done on the book pile too, some good reads there.

    So glad you gave the scarf a good home too :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, but well...it's still only February, so... :)

      I thought of you as soon as I spotted that lamp! I told Cinnamon man that it was something you could expect to find in Britain, but not in Sweden, but luckily I was wrong.

      Radera
  7. Aww.. it is quite a brave thing to do, really! I don't shop much these days, but recently had to buy maternity slacks and so called "salwar". rest... I cannot stop if I like something!
    Your dresses look fab! You are so talented! I wish I could do the same with some of my stuff :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I love Shalwars! I'd wear them with tights all the time, if we had anything like them over here :)

      You know, those dresses are basically just some old tops I don't use cut in half, and then some old dresses I don't use cut in half. Sew together and voilà!

      Radera
  8. Vilka fina tunikor/klänningar du har gjort riktigt boho-chica! :) Trenchen är jättefin, snyggt med puffen nertill.
    Åh vem vill inte ha en lila sjal?? Du gjorde rätt som tog den hem.
    Jag har köpt tre par skor denna vinter( varav ett par som jag behövde), och en ylletröja (som jag också behövde) annars har jag inte shoppat något alls. Jag har tröttnat på de kläder jag har men jag har bestämt att nu banne mig måste jag försöka gå ner i vikt och shoppa min garderob istället.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Tack Linnea!

      Jag har inte heller köpt så mycket tidigare denna vintern, förutom på Ellos Rea - räknas det? :)

      Du och jag kanske skulle ta och byta lite kläder med varandra?

      Radera
  9. The floor lamp looks awesome! What a great find. And the coat is adorable! All very inspiring! :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you! I think this spring will be a constant search for inspiration for me, to get through the dark times.

      Radera
    2. I just have to tell you that my sixteen year old son walked past while I happened to have your blog up on my computer screen and he is now rolling on the floor laughing after reading, "I will not keep calm and you can fuck off", in your sidebar! Haha.

      Radera
  10. That's really great that you're keeping strong!
    And the results of your hard work are really awesome =)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you very much!
      I have plans to sew something a bit more complicated next month, but I am unsure of my own abilities. I was actually thinking about you and if you had some good, easy patterns?

      Radera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...