2014-01-17

January project 2 - meditation cushion



This past week I have spent some of my evenings in my craft room instead of
in front of the computer (which is why my blogging has suffered a bit).
It is pretty great to get busy on the sewing machine again,
and to finish some of the projects I have been planning for many months.





My second January sewing project was a zafu or meditation cushion,
a project several years in the making. I do Kundalini yoga once a week
and a thick pillow is essential. A tilted crescent shape is optimal for the back.
(Please excuse the paint stained craft table in these pictures).






I began by cutting out two kidney shaped pieces of canvas cloth, 50x35 cm.
Pleated sides allow for expansion, but I wasn't sure how much cloth
I would need at different heights (20 cm in the back, 10 cm in the front),
so I sewed strips together and onto the two main pieces as I went along.






 I know some people will say that anything except buckwheat
seed filling is unthinkable. Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
 I had polyester filling lying around and it'll do just fine for me.
I will add a bit more before use because I want it really firm.



 



I hemmed both end pieces of side strips where they met in the back,
and put 10 cm of one over the other instead of closing it. This way
I was able to turn the whole thing inside out when I was done sewing.
It also allows me to pull out the filling and wash the cover in the future.



 





 




22 kommentarer:

  1. It's very pretty! I love the material you chose!

    SvaraRadera
  2. I thought it was a contoured pressing ham at first, heh!'
    But a meditation cushion, now that *is* something-- very handy and beautiful to boot! I am thoroughly enjoying your crafting project posts =D

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you! I had to google 'countoured pressing ham' because I had never heard of it before, and they do look similar :)

      Radera
  3. It looks very comfortable! Do you need such a pillow for sitting during yoga?

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes, Kundalini yoga is alot of sitting in lotus position and a lot of meditating.

      Radera
  4. How pretty! Love this because it is completely personalized to you! Wanted to reply to your comment on my blog here, and tell you that I do indeed live in the woods, with a real mine a stone's throw away ;) I live in my family home so that's why it may seem like I live in a flat, I share so little of my spaces as there are only a few I am able to decorate to my tastes completely.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Aha, thanks for coming over and replying here :)
      And yes, I like having something that's my own - but also something that was basically free to make. Meditation cushions are around 100 dollars over here...

      Radera
  5. It looks great! And I think your polyester filling makes a lot more sense than buckwheat filling. That sounds very uncomfortable.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. My yoga instructor has one with some kind of heavy seed filling - like what is in those 'rain sticks'. It looks like a bean bag but is noisier and heavier. I'm sure it provides support, but like you wrote - it sounds uncomfortable.

      Radera
  6. Svar
    1. I'm not sure I was going for cheerful, but now that you mention it :)

      Radera
  7. Creative little miss!
    I can't wait to see more of your makes.
    I desperately need to start sewing again, my sewing machine is gathering dust :(

    Have a lovely weekend :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I noticed that mine has been too, and needs a good clean. It's not a gentle purr coming from it while I sew now, more like a jack hammer...

      Radera
  8. Love that fabric, Ms. Misantropia! A lot of sitting in lotus position, hey? How do you not cramp up, or does that come with practice? 100 bucks for a meditation pillow? Good grief, no wonder you decided to make your own! :o)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. No cramping yet - I'm still young and spry :) But one needs to be propped up if one is going to sit for long periods of time. (Unless one does yoga every day)

      And yes, anything out of the ordinary (and most ordinary stuff too) is expensive in Sweden...

      Radera
    2. Sigh ... to still be young and spry. Sigh. ;o)

      Radera
  9. Den är jättefin! Varför ska det vara bovete i den? Då blir den ju jättetung!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Tack! Och det är precis vad jag tänkte, men det ger väl ett ordentligt stöd kanske.

      Radera
  10. Great result & LOVE the material, also you channeling Rhett Butler, LOL, you go girl, rules are made to be broken... or at least stretched ;)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, Shelle!
      Agreed, especially when you can save some money in the process :)

      Radera
  11. How absolutley gorgeous! You are a wonderful seamstress. I am one of those people who can only sew a button and mend a sock, so I am always in awe of these gifts in others. Mina

    SvaraRadera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...