This past week I have spent some of my evenings in my craft room instead of
in front of the computer (which is why my blogging has suffered a bit).
It is pretty great to get busy on the sewing machine again,
and to finish some of the projects I have been planning for many months.
My second January sewing project was a zafu or meditation cushion,
a project several years in the making. I do Kundalini yoga once a week
and a thick pillow is essential. A tilted crescent shape is optimal for the back.
(Please excuse the paint stained craft table in these pictures).
I began by cutting out two kidney shaped pieces of canvas cloth, 50x35 cm.
Pleated sides allow for expansion, but I wasn't sure how much cloth
I would need at different heights (20 cm in the back, 10 cm in the front),
so I sewed strips together and onto the two main pieces as I went along.
I know some people will say that anything except buckwheat
seed filling is unthinkable. Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
I had polyester filling lying around and it'll do just fine for me.
I will add a bit more before use because I want it really firm.
I hemmed both end pieces of side strips where they met in the back,
and put 10 cm of one over the other instead of closing it. This way
I was able to turn the whole thing inside out when I was done sewing.
It also allows me to pull out the filling and wash the cover in the future.