2014-01-10

January project - hand bag



Are you also one of those people living with way too much crap
on waaayyy to small a surface? Well, I am - and as a result my
craft room has been a messy storage space for the last 6 months or so.
Finally it got to the point where one couldn't actually enter the room,
that's how much stuff we'd crammed in there.

Yesterday I decided enough was enough and cleaned it out.
An exercise bike and a left over desk chair went down into the basement,
along with some power tools and about 10 buckets of paint. Two garbage
bags full of old textiles and dead plants were thrown out, 6 large pillows
and a mattress found a new home in my closet. (Don't even ask how..?!)

It took many hours, but then finally there it was: My craft room!
My sewing machine, my tools and pens, my paint brushes,
my unfinished projects, a giant palm tree - and tons of old clothes.
It was like seeing old friends again. And of course I had to dive right in :)

For months now I have been quietly pretending like my hand bag
wasn't falling apart. Unfortunately, I'm not like many other girls
who can't resist buying a new hand bag whenever they see
a pretty one - or maybe I would be, had I ever seen one I liked.



 



I have been shedding beads, string and yarn everywhere I go lately
and it's gotten embarrassing. But when I sorted through my discarded
clothes (that all end up in my craft room because I can't bear to part
with them) I realized that I have enough pretty cloth for 15 hand bags
- just lying around, for free! (And y'all know I'm constantly on a budget).






So this is my new hand bag, made from a vintage wool dress
(that was always beautiful but way too warm) and an old velvet skirt.
The lining I just made from some left over cotton cloth. Then I reused
the zipper from my old bag and made a small side pocket for my iPhone.






 






25 kommentarer:

  1. That is absolutely a stunning piece of work! Love that shade of purple!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, that's my favorite shade too!

      Radera
  2. Ooooh I am jealous. The hand bag is gorgeous. I hate shopping for purses I have had two wallets and three purses my whole life the third one recently purchased. What am amazing job though I might have to try my hand at making my own purse.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you! Except for the whole zipper business it's a relatively easy craft.

      Radera
  3. Oh dear - your home sounds much like mine.
    I'm in the process of rearranging and decluttering (as always)

    I adore your creative new bag, such a lovely choice of fabrics.

    Perhaps you should start selling them :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you!
      Every time I successfully make something (which is about 1/4 of my creative time) I wonder about making more of the same - and am then instantly bored to death by the prospect :) Not to mention, if I am to get paid for my labor a bag like this would be £ 200 retail... :)

      Radera
  4. Oh, your handbag is absolutely gorgeous! You could upscale all your old dresses into bags and sell them! Decluttering is such a satisfying activity. I honestly can't function with mess around me. Some people say that chaos inspires them creatively, but it's the opposite for me.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you!
      To me there's a difference between clutter and mess. My house is always cluttered, that's how I like it - but when I can't find (or get to...) what I need it's time for a change.

      Radera
  5. SO pretty! Great job!

    In our home, a surface cleared is a place for our clutter and projects to collect. Right now, it's our library table and beneath. It was cleaned just a month ago.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you!
      At least you clear spaces regularly :)

      Radera
  6. Åh, vilket vackert tyg du har gjort din handväska av! Vad har det varit för något, tidigare?
    Du är inte ensam om att spara gamla kläder, här är en till hopplös en ;).
    Men jag har också en liten kille som tycker om att åka på knäna och då kommer alla möjliga tyger väl till hands.
    Även om det inte är superkvalitet tycker jag handväskorna från Restyle är supersnygga.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Det står undertill; en vintage ullklänning och en gammal svart sammetskjol :)
      Restyle har fina saker, men de är lite för 'goth' för mig - jag har ju en hopplös mitt-i-mellan stil.

      Radera
  7. It's beautiful, Ms. Misantropia! What a lovely way to recycle some old favourites! I've got some old things that I loved in my twenties I'd like to remake into something, but the fabrics are too thin for a purse. I'm not sure what I'll do with them yet, but I can't get rid of them...

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, Ms Insomniac!
      I too have lots of thin cloth/clothes lying around. But I've found some very inspiring things on Etsy under revamped/upcycled I might try :)

      Radera
    2. Oooh, good idea to check on Etsy for ideas! Too early to get out of bed yet... think I'll go take a quick peek! ;o)

      Radera
  8. Svar
    1. Thanks!
      But where have you gone off to? You haven't posted in ages...

      Radera
  9. You are one talented and impressive crafty-girl! Love the way the purple and black go together. :)

    SvaraRadera
  10. Well hello, Ms Creatrix! I love the shape and colors of your new purse. And the pattern, too. Most of all, I'm enchanted by the fact that you made it. What a treat to walk around with something made by your own hands... especially when it is this precious looking.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, Magaly!
      It has been a treat since I got my ass off the wagon and cleaned up my creative space. My next project is going to be a meditation cushion :)

      Radera
  11. How cute. Looks a little like your blog :-)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I noticed that too - afterwards :)

      Radera
  12. That is a gorgeous bag!
    I don't want to know HOW you got a mattress in your closet, I want to know WHY?

    I have been known to go "fabric shopping" at the thrift store. I choose things in the XXXL clothing section to get the most for my money.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Haha - the mattress belongs to the giant daybed we have outside during the summer months. The bed itself is in the garage/outhouse, but the mattress needs to be stored indoors - and there is just no space anywhere else :)

      Radera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...