2013-07-18

The outdoor daybed project





Five years ago, when I lost my best friend to cancer, I inherited
a few different things from her, among them some dresses and a daybed.
It was the bed I always used to sleep in when I was visiting her,
so even if it's just an old IKEA thing, it holds sentimental value to me.


 


I set up the daybed in my craft room. It was pretty big and the cottage
has tiny doorways, so I had to take it apart before bringing it in to the house,
and then put it back together inside the room. And it was much too big for the room,
but because of all the work it took, the bed has been stuck in there ever since.




Fast forward to a few days ago, when for the umpteenth time I changed positions
on the kinda rocky and rock hard "couch" (bench) on the patio
that I was "lounging" on - my butt falling asleep every five minutes.
When I bought the garden set - with a table, a couch and two chairs
- I wanted something country romantic, but also something inexpensive.
The set was used and perfect, and I have loved it for many years.
But the truth is that it has never really been very comfortable.




Back to the daybed: It has been hinted to me, by a few different people,
that I should maybe get rid of the large clumsy piece of furniture that I never use
- since the room has become more a crowded storage area than a craft room.
But I could never throw it out! Though, maybe I could move it outside..?




Summer is short in Sweden so for me, large investments in outdoor furniture
that won't be used for 8 months out of the year, is just out of the question.
On the other hand - because summer is so short, shouldn't we make the best of it?
Suddenly I was googling 'outdoor daybed' and I was immediately sold on the idea.




Luckily Cinnamon man helped me, because that thing is BIG.
And somehow it looks even bigger now, sitting on the patio.
But it is oh so luxurious! And it easily fits two!
Or me, my lap top and a kitty, some cheese and fruit, and 8 pillows.




 



20 kommentarer:

  1. What a great idea! And your garden looks so romantic and comfortable now... I wish I had a garden (or at least a balcony) to enjoy summer in!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you! Yes, it's very romantic - but also A LOT of work...

      Radera
  2. What a perfect idea!

    Your new-look garden looks as though it belongs in a fairytale - I love it - and your kitty too : )

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you so much! I would just have wanted a little less typical red-and-white Swedish style.

      Radera
  3. Åh så bra att du tog ditt förnuft till fånga och tog ut sängen :). Det är faktiskt riktigt skönt att ligga och slappa utomhus. Jag har en gammal järnsäng på verandan som är ur-bekväm (jag säger då det att man sov nog bekvämt på sjukhusen förr). Du har kombinerat så fina färger, vackert :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Åh, jag vill se bilder på din mysiga järnsäng!

      Radera
  4. Det blev ju supermysigt! Om jag hade en säng utomhus kanske till och med jag skulle vara ute på sommaren lite ibland ;P

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Tack! Jag är gärna ute, men ogärna i solen. Jag har ett stort segel uppspänt för att slippa den :)

      Radera
  5. It looks fantastic, especially with all the different purples! I love your bowls - I almost bought a purple set of cafe-au-lait bowls yesterday but then I came to my senses. :P

    We have lots of old outdoor furniture, too. And it will probably fall apart much faster after we've moved! Yours will look very nice when it's all rusted - it is metal, right? Looks like it's metal. Nothing better than laying in the shade with a kitty, some food and a laptop on a comfy bed.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you! The daybed is black painted iron, but it will probably start peeling by next summer.

      Though - to me there is no sense in not buying pretty purple things ;)

      Radera
  6. Hello, I'm here again, seeing updates. Excellent post, congratulations.
    Greetings from:
    http://terror-en-el-cine.blogspot.com/

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, too bad I don't understand Spanish, or I would read your blog :)

      Radera
  7. Oh, the daybed looks gorgeous! What a lovely spot to sit out in the sunshine! And your kitty... too adorable for words! :D

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you! Though I have put up a great big sun sail to get away from the rays. I like being outdoors but not so much being in the sun :)

      Radera
  8. It looks so cosy, I love the idea!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, do you have a garden or maybe a balcony to work with?

      Radera
  9. The interior (and exterior) designer strikes again! I love what you've done with the daybed: practical, beautiful and full of heart. And the color combination looks perfect ;-D

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you Magaly! Breakfast (and lunch, and dinner) is now being taken lying Roman style, spread across the pillows :)

      Radera
  10. How romantic, indeed! Looks like the perfect place to snuggle under some shade with a cup of tea.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Looking at the pictures now it's almost too romantic and summer sweet... but I've decided it's allowed on the patio :)

      Radera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...