2013-07-31

Pumpkins on the brain



Last night I came home and told Cinnamon man that I had spent
part of my day at work looking up time lapse videos of growing pumpkins.
He chuckled and told me I have "pumpkins on the brain". It's true, I do.
So I couldn't believe my luck when I turned on the TV that night
and a movie I had never heard of before - Growing the Big One - was on.
A romantic comedy TV movie about growing giant pumpkins!
What could possibly go wrong? Well - quite a few things, as it turns out...

I could live with Shannon Doherty in the lead, I could live with the silly look
of the male love interest, I could even live with the completely unoriginal storyline.
But how the hell can they make a movie about growing pumpkins
without actually showing, you know... anyone growing any pumpkins??
The ridiculous shot of the pumpkin seedlings looked nothing like pumpkins,
more like lettuce. The shot of the pumpkin patch in summer was a compost heap
full of dead vines, with out of place Jarradhale pumpkins thrown in to the mix.
And the winning pumpkin in the end? A giant orange balloon.
It was pathetic. I recommend this movie to NO ONE.


 

 
I spend some time with my green and orange babies every day, carefully turning them,
cutting away sick leaves, even talking to them. I google pumpkin decor, giant pumpkins,
jack-o-lanterns, pumpkin kinds, recipes, growing tips - and pumpkin festivals.
Only recently I learned that since a few years back, Sweden actually hosts
a couple of pumpkin festivals. The biggest one is at Solberga Gård on Öland,
a small island just off the south east coast. It seems like a lovely harvest festival
- and they even have a proper giant pumpkin competition!

For my birthday (last October...) my parents offered to pay for a weekend away
for myself and Cinnamon man. But because he still can't leave the country
while waiting for a reply from Immigrations we have never made anything of it.
I think the pumpkin festival at the end of September would be a perfect way for us
to make use of their generous offer, and a great way to kick off the Halloween season!




I'd like to thank you guys for your kind comments to my last post.
It feels really good to know that it's safe to share more personal stuff
from time to time.  On really bad days the blogging community
is one of the few things that help me get through. So thank you!




 




23 kommentarer:

  1. That does sound like a lovely idea for a trip!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes, I am growing fonder of the idea every moment :)

      Radera
  2. OH. MY. GOD. Cinnamon Man still hasn't heard anything back from Immigrations? Sweden really is like Canada! :o(

    Anyway, a pumpkin festival really does sound like a nice getaway for you both. Although with all the tender loving care you're lavishing on yours, maybe you could enter one of them for either largest pumpkin or most beautiful! :D

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I know, it's been a slow and stressful year so far. But last week we got word that his application has reached the handler's desk (only took 8 months...) so we're hoping to get an answer before the summer's over.

      Radera
  3. That sounds like a fun idea for a trip!

    Yesterday, I was cleaning my shelves here and I found a white pumpkin, still perfect and unspoiled from last October. I wonder how long pumpkins last?

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Ooo, a secret white pumpkin - lovely! I kept a pumpkin for a whole year once, and carved it the following Halloween. It wasn't very fresh inside, but still hard and pretty on the outside :)

      Radera
  4. i've been quite neglectful of my garden lately, including my pumpkins. i did go out this morning for a visit and a tend and found some babies. maybe now that i have babies it will help me to continue tending them more.
    that festival sounds like fun. hope you get to go!
    blessings
    ~*~

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Finding new pumpkin babies growing hidden under big leaves is one of life's great pleasures :)

      Radera
  5. Hur länge ska din kanelkille få vänta på att migrationsverket ska höra av sig :( ? Det måste vara fruktansvärt att få gå och vänta och inte kunna vara nära varandra. Jag hoppas att det blir snart.
    Åh jag ska bara bygga ett växthus först, sen kan jag prova pumpor jag med :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Jag tror du måste ha missförstått - vi bor tillsammans! Men han kan inte resa utanför landets gränser, han får inte arbeta, och han får inte ta del av några svenska rättigheter (som vård).
      Och det tär på oss att hela tiden inte veta om han plötsligt blir hemskickad till USA imorgon, och det tär naturligtvis på oss att han inte har haft någon inkomst på 2 år nu.

      Radera
  6. A pumpkin festival does sound lovely : )

    I hope Cinnamon Man hears from immigraton soon x

    SvaraRadera
  7. The only things I care about at our county fair are the weird chickens and the giant pumpkins. Everyone else goes for fried foods and day drinking....

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Weird chickens? Your county fairs sound different from ours... :)
      I go for all of it - though fried food is not as common over here.

      Radera
  8. Considering the way you're lavishing attention on your pumpkins, they'd better grow big and strong if they know what's good for them! :-)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. :D Though I would never utter such threatening words anywhere close to them!

      Radera
    2. You're such a sweet, soft-hearted pumpkin grower. :-)
      Thanks for commenting on my blog. For writers, "WIP" refers to Work In Progress. It means the new book (or short story) we're working on at the moment. :-)

      Radera

  9. i have to watch this stupid movie!!hehe
    your great love of giant pumpkins is wonderful and inspiring:)
    sometimes really good shows come out near Halloween about actually growing the giants...if i can remember the name of them I'll let you know!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Oh, please please do! We don't get those shows over here. Though for me it's about growing and loving all the different little ones mother Earth bestows on me. Pushing for the giant pumpkin often seems so business-like, competitive - and male dominated.

      Radera
  10. Haha, ibland blir man så chockad över filmtitlar! jag har mer än en gång sett filmer jag förväntat mig något som aldrig hände :'D

    Pumpa-festival låter väldigt kul, hoppas ni kan åka. ^^

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Ja, det händer ibland, inget SÅG UT som det skulle. Det är som att göra en film om mode, där alla pratar om mode och går på mode visningar - men alla kläder vi ser är blåjeans typ.

      Radera
  11. I can hear the outrage in your voice, and must confess that I laughed a bit. Not so much at you, but because it reminded me of myself last summer. I was taking a "culture" class and the professor was telling people how to grow cassava root. He told them that you just kind of bury the root and it will sprout. I wanted to scream--okay, I actually got very loud. A so-called agriculture professor who doesn't know how to grow a freaking cassava root. You bury the stalk, not the root. Anyway, I was quite pissed, too.

    Can't wait to see your babies ;-)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes - disappointment, outrage, indignation! :) Cinnamon man reminded me that everything is shot at a studio in California, but I would have none of it...

      Radera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...