2013-07-24

July in the green house




 


It's been a long time coming, but the first two tomatoes are turning color!
You wouldn't believe how many tomatoes are on the vines now.
They are the right size but are all still green.
But they will probably be ripe in a few weeks - all at the same time...







Now on to the important stuff - the pumpkins! :)
There must have been some serious cross pollinating going on last year,
and it will be interesting to see how they all turn out in autumn.
For instance, of the gray edible kind (that I harvested myself, and that take up
at least half of the patch) I can't see a single gray one - only some beige ones.


 


 This one below for instance, is such a weird pumpkin. It was the first to turn color
- a greenish yellow that lasted for several weeks while it grew to about 20 cm/ 8 inch.
Then a week or two ago it turned more beige and seemed to stop growing.
Do any of you pumpkin lovers out there know if that's it?
Is it ready to pick or will it turn color a third time - or even grow more?
I've never had a pumpkin like this even close to my house!







I'm sorry about the bad quality of these two pictures,
I just popped a few shots while I was walking around the green house tonight.







My biggest baby is still dark green and still growing steady.
I'm hoping this one hasn't been cross pollinated
- I want at least one great big orange one!




 And here are the main cross pollinating culprits, taking over the green house
like some leafy green alien plant body snatchers - the zucchini.
Currently there are 9 giant zucchinis on the dinner table,
making me feel bad that I'm not making something yummy out of them.
But I just used three of them in a pasta sauce less than a week ago..!




My grape vines are doing splendidly, producing fruit like there's no tomorrow.
They are pretty, but unfortunately there isn't much you can make out of grapes
except juice and wine. Or am I wrong? Do you guys have other suggestions?


 


 And among all the edibles (or more like taking over the whole corner)
the first Belladonna berries are ripening. Aren't they beautiful?




 



16 kommentarer:


  1. That's an amazing greenhouse.

    Have you ever made zucchini bread?
    It's so so good!!!
    Lots of good recipes online for that.

    If I had them I'd Slice em up into a pot
    With onion, stewed tomatoes a can of corn and white cheese.

    Your photos look great! I hope you get a great big orange pumpkin too!

    Have a great day:)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I did make zucchini muffins last year, but it's not a favorite of mine. I ended up making zucchini soup with 5 of them yesterday, so I don't feel as bad about it now :)

      Radera
  2. Wow, how glorious!! Our little container garden has exploded in spinach, arugula and freckled lettuce, but the radishes have conquered the carrot's territory. Our cucumber plant is taller than me (which isn't saying much). Those pumpkins are awesome- I hope you get The Great Pumpkin!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I would love to see pictures of your garden. I grew cucumbers 5 years ago and they took over everything. I had tons of cucumbers the size and length of my arms!

      Radera
  3. Your greenhouse is impressive - you're so green fingered!

    I slice grapes in half and add them to salads - they add a lovely touch of sweetness.

    I really hope your pumpkin turns orange!



    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. What a great tip - I will surely do that!

      Radera
  4. I would love to have a greenhouse. My plants would do well, right now I have all my plants in pots. Our ground has too much clay and the ground is too hard.
    Wonderful photos.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. We ere lucky that the previous owners had not only built the large green house, but had also changed and prepared the soil in there - because, like at your place, the ground is heavy clay out here to.

      Radera
  5. I would KILL for that greenhouse! My tomatoes (heirloom varieties) are taking their sweet time while the cucumbers, green beans, zucchini and summer squash are doing their yearly jig. HA! It seems that this year time is off, perhaps it's just me?

    Anywho, believe it or not pumpkins are not all orange. Some are white, some this eery, ghostly green and some that beige color. Here's a nice site that lists some of the varieties: http://www.allaboutpumpkins.com/varieties.html. A quick search on google for "pumpkin varieties" will show you the different varieties and colors. Pumpkins and squashes are some of the most colorful fruit out there! Next year Ed and I are putting in a long bed just for pumpkins.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Oh yes, I know there are tons of different types of pumpkins, and that they all cross with each other and make new kinds. What I was wondering though, was if anyone knew how many times a pumpkin can change color before its done - or if that beige color looks "done". But thanks for the info!
      And you guys should totally grow pumpkins next year - I want to see lots of pictures!

      Radera
    2. Åh ditt växthus väcker avund hos mig (en ganska obekant känsla för mig) men ditt är alldeles underbart. Jag går och tittar och suktar på mina tomater varje dag för att se om de har mognat än. När jag får frön ska jag skicka dig av min ryska bifftomat. Plantan blir inte stor men jag får många goda ganska små.
      Undrar om inte Franny (the professor) gjorde en sylt av vindruvorna förra året. Du får fråga henne :)

      Radera
    3. Får du små bifftomater?
      Jag tar gärna emot frön! Vi odlar Roma, körsbär och biff-tomater. De bifftomater vi har smakar inte lika mycket som de andra, men de är perfekta i matlagning. Om du vill ha några frön av mig så hojta till!
      De godaste tomater jag någonsin odlat var 'Black Russian'. Fantastiskt söta bruna tomater! Det var som att äta frukt.

      Radera
  6. Wow, I'm living vicariously through your pumpkin patch since we didn't grow any this year. :o(

    Have you ever tried fried green tomatoes, Ms. Misantropia? They're actually very tasty! :D

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. You know, I never have. Which is a little strange since I lived in the deep south (USA) for a while.

      The years I didn't grow pumpkins I also felt like something was missing. It's funny, but the biggest part of the fun is the growing, all the time leading up to the harvesting. Kinda like Christmas :)

      Radera
  7. I love your gorgeous garden! You've done such a great job! Weird about the missing gray pumpkins though... Maybe they're waiting to come out on Halloween and surprise you! :-)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. It WAS weird - but then just this morning I found 2 gray ones growing, hidden under leaves! I guess they were just taking their sweet time :)

      Radera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...