2013-05-10

Monsters of Buffy, part 1 - May Monster Madness



Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the TV series) is almost always on at our house.
I must have seen every episode at least 50 times by now. I know it's weird,
but Buffy is my comfy blanket. When I'm having a bad day she - and Willow and Giles
and Xander - are there for me, going through those familiar motions and lines.
I don't even have to watch it anymore, just having it on in the background is enough.

So what could be more natural for me than to list the best, the grossest,
the scariest and the cutest monsters of Buffy - for May Monster Madness
hosted by Little Gothic Horrors, Annie Hall and Wicked Way productions?
A few of these might not be considered regular monster since they are human,
but please bear with me as I jump right in with my favorite 4 monsters of Buffy:




Hep Cat demon. Once more with feeling, season 6.

This swinging underworld demon makes all of Sunnydale dance and sing for one episode. After a mix-up with a lost necklace he rises up to earth and tries to claim Buffy's sister Dawn as his bride. He's funny and totally suave. The musical episode can be found on almost every fan list over best Buffy episodes. It was also filmed in wide screen, well before this was an adopted TV format, which gives the episode a movie-like quality.



Dark Willow. Vampire, season 3 and black haired über-witch, season 6.

Willow is the character who goes through the most changes over the course of the seven seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She was introduced as a tech savvy, nerdy and mousy girl, but pretty soon she started dating a werewolf musician and gained an interest in witchcraft. Over time we get to now Willow as a powerful lesbian witch, and we also get to see her venture over to the dark side more than a couple of times.



Holden Webster. Conversations with dead people, season 7.

Holden is a cute newly sired vampire, who Buffy comes across while patrolling. What makes Holden special is him being a psych grad student. Despite being her adversary he strangely enough offers Buffy something like therapy (while they are fighting to the death) during a time when she really could use someone to talk to. I just love their therapy session/ pre-fight banter.





Zachary Kralik/ Rack. Vampire, season 3 and nasty warlock, season 6.

Joss Whedon has a tradition of re-hiring the same actors over and over, and Jeff Kober is an early example of this. I've always thought the actor has an interesting face and an understated acting style, ever since I first noticed him in Vampire: The Masquerade. Even though the two Buffy characters are small parts Kober infuses them with personality and a little humor, and makes them both nasty and memorable.





And, my top 4 scariest monsters of Buffy:


Der Kindestod. Killed by death, season 2.

This German fairytale creature feeds on sick young children at the Sunnydale hospital. He does this by holding them down and releasing nasty tentacle devices through his eye sockets, attaching them to the child's faces and sucking the life out of them. But when Buffy is admitted to the hospital with the flu she quickly proceeds to kick his ass. In a somewhat underdeveloped twist it turns out that Buffy's cousin, who died in a hospital at an early age, was probably a victim of Der Kindestod.



The Gentlemen. Hush, season 4.


These mute floating creatures terrorize Sunnydale by first stealing everyone's voice. They then make stealthy visits in the night to select inhabitants, ripping the hearts from their victims' chests.
What makes the episode, and its villains, special is that only about 17 minutes of dialog is presented in the entire 44 minutes of "Hush". It creates a great eerie atmosphere. It is also the only episode of Buffy to be nominated for an Emmy award.



Turok-Han. Season 7.

Towards the end of Buffy's seven year run, it seemed like Whedon started running out of monster ideas. The "big bad" of the last season is something called The First (Evil), an entity that can't actually take form. Instead it sends different minions after Buffy and the other slayer-potentials. The set up is a little lame, but the Turok-Han is not. They are millenia-old orch-looking "übervamps" that are stronger, faster and uglier than any other vampire ever encountered on the show. One could say they made pretty fitting final monsters for Buffy the Vampire Slayer to face.



Warren. Season 5 and 6.

To me, Warren is the scariest villain in Buffy, due to him being exactly the type of misogynistic monster that the real world is full of. Most of Warren's actions seem to revolve around the same things: dominating, raping and killing women. He builds a sex robot for himself, he stalks, tries to rape and then kills his own ex-girlfriend, he shoots Buffy (and kills Tara by accident). Even when Dark Willow has him strung up in a tree, ready to kill him, he can't stop spouting misogynistic crap in her face, even to save his own life.





I am very excited to join the 2013 May Monster Madness blog hop!
I have other monster posts ready to go, one of them being Monsters of Buffy, part 2
where I will be listing my top grossest and cutest monsters of Buffy :)
Join us! (See a list of the other participants below.)









26 kommentarer:

  1. Oh I love Buffy and the silent gentlemen were the creepiest monsters, ever!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Loved the post! I was a big fan of Buffy some time ago. One episode made me cry: when she had to kill her love Angel...I even wrote about it in my dairy back then - though I don't know still why that particular episode made me so emotional.
    Those monsters seem really evil. Great entry for the May Monster Madness!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes, I remember crying at that episode too. It was early on and we hadn't understood yet how dark the show would go.

      Radera
  3. Willow has always been my girl. And you've pointed out one of the main reasons for that love: she evolves and she is not scare to dance on the dark side.

    P.S. I always imagined Der Kindestod saying, "Look into my eyes." Creepy, I know.

    Hop on!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Willow on the dark side is the best!

      Radera
  4. I've always loved Buffy too, although your dedication puts my watching in the shade! :)

    You're right about Warren, it's being human that makes him the nastiest monster of the lot.

    One of my fav Buffy monsters is/are the two dead children in Gingerbread, who turn out to be a demon, because it turns people against themselves with their own fears.

    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Ooo, I always hated that episode - for the very same reason! Turning against each other, following the crowd despite crazy sect-like ideas - it's what we humans do best.

      Radera
  5. Buffy is AWESOME! Der Kindestod freaked me out for years! Thanks for the great post, here's my MMM at Design du Jour.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Gotta love a guy who loves Buffy :)

      Radera
  6. Best show ever! Warren is the perfect pick for #1 though The Gentlemen totally freaked me out!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Agree! They freak us out for different reasons.

      Radera
  7. Loving this run-down of the great Buffy. Must say, you are one die-hard fan to know all this. Go you! X

    Shah X

    shahwharton.com

    SvaraRadera
  8. I love Buffy too! All great choices, and I'm totally with you on the scariest monsters! Der Kindestod, The Gentlemen, and the Turok-Han are all the stuff of childhood nightmares. Warren is deeply disturbing because there really are psychos out there with the same sociopathic personality as him. His death was probably one of the more gruesome on Buffy, but I felt no pity for him.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I totally agree, no pity for Warren.

      Radera
  9. As a fellow buffy fan, I approve of this post. :D

    SvaraRadera
  10. This was a fun post. I have many friends who are big Buffy fans, but I never really got into the show. Not that I have anything against it, I'll watch it if it's on, it's just not one I've ever sat down and watched from beginning to end. I have seen Once More with Feeling though. A friend sat me down and insisted I watch that episode.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. It seems like many friends of fans have seen that particular episode :)

      Radera
  11. Once more with feeling was my absolute favourite ep! Weirdly, I haven't seen it all that much, maybe four or five times, but I still wake up with the songs from this episode in my head! And bunnies have never been the same since! ;)
    Fantastic post! Beautiful blog you have here!
    Here's my MMM'S Carmen Jenner Author and Book Me!
    Happy Hopping! =D

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I would say four or five times puts you in the die hard category - welcome ;)

      Radera
  12. Buffy always had great monsters and characters!

    SvaraRadera
  13. I think the musical episode with Hep Cat Demon was my favorite episode of Buffy. Strange, I know, but I loved it. Hep Cat Demon was hot. ;-)

    SvaraRadera
  14. Great list but I do have to say...no Gnarl? He was so creepy! Being paralyzed while watching a horrible monster eating your skin...yikes. That is definitely one episode that I do not watch by myself at night!

    SvaraRadera
  15. Very awesome… :) And in my mind, Warren would’ve made a darn good vampire hunter and a great source of help for the Scooby Gang (or a Chosen One if the Powers That Be decided to break with tradition and call a male Slayer) if he didn’t have that misogyny in him. (Of course, he does make a great vampire victim in BtVS fanfiction as well.)

    SvaraRadera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...