2013-05-22

Femme fatale



 I have a man, a have two furry little babies - and I have a lady.
She is a perennial femme fatale and her name is Atropa Belladonna,
more commonly known as 'Deadly Nightshade'.
(Yes, you know the one - they used it in 'Practical Magic'
and Tim Burton's 'A Nightmare before Christmas' :))




Six years ago, when I first moved out to the countryside,
I was really in to growing poisonous plants from seed.
I grew beautiful, night blooming Daturas and had a great specimen
of Kangaroo Apple for a few years (before the Swedish winter claimed him).
But being a novice, I was disappointed at the slow growing Belladonna
with her few small blossoms.  I harvested her berries and seeds for fun,
but when that first season was over I threw her out and didn't give it another thought.

Then, a few years later, right inside the wall of the old dilapidated green house
a plant with big leaves started growing. The first time I saw them I think
I pulled them out, thinking they were weeds. The next year they were back
and out of curiosity I let them grow. It wasn't long before they shot thick stalks,
and somewhere in the back of my mind a light switched on: "Ah - Belladonna!"

That second year she started pushing up several of the stones in the walkway.
Happily I removed a few to give her more room. She probably grew from a stray seed,
and letting her grow in the ground, inside the protected green house,
she quickly became a big beautiful bush. The third year I had to start hacking off
and pulling up her roots, to stop her from completely taking over.



Picture taken today: One of the lady's flowers is about to blossom


Contrary to what some Americans think, Belladonna does not have
purple flowers and red berries. That would be the Solanum Dulcamara,
or 'Woody Nightshade'. Belladonna has modest bell-shaped brownish flowers
that after bloom turn in to shiny pitch black berries. And what really separates this lady
from her wannabes, what makes her really deadly, is that her berries are sweet.

Almost every lethal case of Belladonna poisoning recorded has been a young child
eating tons of berries, but the berries are actually the least poisonous part of the plant.
When you pop them in your mouth they are really sweet and juicy,
but as you start to chew you notice they are packed with
tasteless, sometimes slightly bitter, seeds. I know, I've tried them.

Unless you are looking for hours of dry mouth and palpitations,
I don't recommend them. For anyone out there looking for a 'high':
Belladonna doesn't really work as a hallucinogenic drug.
Any poison that causes high fever and organ failure will make you hallucinate
- but not until you are actually dying. On the other hand,
the roots I pulled up today are probably enough to kill 20 grown men.



Anyone up for a cup of 100% ecological infusion? ;)



 




18 kommentarer:

  1. Remind me not to eat the berry pie at your house...

    SvaraRadera
  2. If I ever kill myself, I'll do it with Atropa belladonna! ^^

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Unfortunately I think that would be an incredibly painful, scary and unpleasant experience.

      Radera
  3. Ah, now you can make your own witch's Flying Ointment! Better dust off your broom;-)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. What what? Gotta check that out right now :)

      Radera
  4. I had no idea what belladonna looked like, so thanks for the pic! You're brave to try the berries -- I would have been too scared.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I am a brave and foolish creature, wrestling Rottweilers, trying poisonous plants and standing up to abusive authorities ;)

      Radera
  5. Isn't that a gorgeous specimen; wow, indeed!
    Back home, Belladonna is illegal to grow or cultivate, heh-- I'm not sure about the U.S. but I'd imagine it is a little more lax.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. What is back home - Canada? It is not illegal in Europe, that much I know. But it's rare up here, it usually can't grow (big) in this climate. But in a green house.. well :)

      Radera
  6. I remember I did a book report back in high school about witches and their Belladonna flying ointment. If I remember right, they rubbed it on the bottoms of their feet and it gave them hallucinations. Don't know how accurate my report was though ... I don't think I put a whole lot of investigative work into my homework. :P

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. This Flying Ointment has gotten me very curious. Maybe rubbing the roots will give a different experience than ingesting berries?

      Radera
  7. How interesting! I haven't seen anybody (yet) growing poisonous plants in their gardens :)hehe

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. There's a whole garden in Britain somewhere, with only poisonous plants. I would love to go there some day!

      Radera
  8. Oooooh... thank you for all this fascinating information. I didn't really know what Belladonna looked like. How cool that she found a way back to you. Tenacious little lady! Morticia would be so impressed!

    SvaraRadera
  9. I'm so envious of your killer babe! I've been looking for some seeds, I don't want to buy them... not because of the money, but because I want them from a friend or at least someone who planted it with good intentions. I hope to find some before the winter. Until then, I'll delight in your pretty!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. If you email me your address I will get some to you from this autumn's harvest!

      Radera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...