2013-05-17

Beauty and the Beast, part 2 - MMM finale



This is the second and final part of my horror short story,
and my final post for May Monster Madness.
**warning: contains blood and gore**



Beauty and the Beast, continued



        Black eyes, sharp teeth - and blood, so much blood. Across his cheeks and chin, down along his neck and chest. Blood is dripping from the monster's hair. His shirt is wet from it, and from something else. Slivers of meat perhaps, or... Is that liver? Up until now I have always thought the sight of a demon, a real live demon, would certainly cause me to faint. But while terror is making every fiber of my being scream from pain, I find myself paralyzed. I cannot move, and I cannot break my stare. Suddenly two hard hands grip me, one around my neck and one over my mouth. The demon is almost lifting me off the ground by my head. I am going to die I don't want to die I am going to die please just let me die.

But it does not happen. Instead he looks at me with big black eyes, and in an instant they are recognizable to me – it is the man from across the ballroom floor. The world is not what I thought it was. It is strange. It is horrifying. The man-demon seems to recognize me too. The terror I feel is broken by a sudden sharp taste in my mouth. Something warm, sweet and salty. Iron. Blood. The man's hands are covered in it and it has started to seep into my mouth, over my tongue and slowly down my throat. I desperately try to slap his hand away but he is much too strong. The knowledge of what it is, more than the taste of it, makes me feel ill.

He tilts his head a little to the side and looks at me with an curious facial expression. If it had not been for all the blood nearly covering him, making him look absolutely grotesque, for a moment I might almost have thought he does not wish to kill me. Almost. He releases the grip he has over my mouth, although the grip around my neck is still painfully firm. I cough and spit while tears roll down my cheeks. I am so disgusted and terrified that I fear I will lose my mind completely. The world as I knew has ceased to exist. I have been thrown into hell, alone with a monster, and on top of everything he seems to care somehow. For a split second I wonder if he is about to let me go, but then my head snaps to the side and he is dragging me with him behind the refreshment stand.

I am met by a horrendous scene and a smell that hits me with full force. There is blood everywhere. The white painted wooden wall of the booth looks as if it has been sprayed with blood and here and there I can make out smeared hand prints, like those modern paintings I have only heard of. On the ground is a torn up carcass. I see viscera strewn about carelessly and a hollow torso gaping at me. Slivers of meat are still hanging from the rib bones, which create the illusion of a crooked bloody mouth crying out for help. A memory long forgotten, of a slaughtered pig hanging from a ceiling, flashes before my eyes. Then I see the black trousers and expensive shoes attached to the carcass.
    
My legs fold beneath me and I collapse next to the body. I barely have the presence of mind to turn my head to the side before a throw up right into the chest cavity, where the man's heart should have been. My ears are ringing, but I can also pick up the sound of something else, a ghoulish whining or moaning. I realize I am the one making the sound and I quickly shut my lips around the blood curling noise. I also shut my eyes. I am lying on the ground next to what used to be a man, rocking myself back and forth. If I keep my eyes closed long enough this will all go away. It HAS TO go away, but when I reopen my eyes I find myself staring straight into another pair of eyes, frozen blue. Dead. The head they belong to is almost severed from its body.

This time the scream that fills my throat is a lunatic's laughter, as the man-demon grabs my neck once more. In an unnaturally quick gesture he lifts up my head and then plunges it straight down into the hollow torso. It goes so fast I barely have time to notice the rib bones scraping against my cheeks and ears. He pushes my face all the way down to the inside of the dead man's back, into the thick puddle of blood collected there. Fighting against the demon is futile. My mouth and nose are quickly filled with blood. I cannot breathe, I feel like I will suffocate. I am going to drown in blood.

Then something amazing happens. The blood is growing in my mouth, running down my nose and my throat, but instead of trying to spit it out, to fight it, I start swallowing. Before I realize what is happening I am drinking it. The grip on my head is loosening, but I do not push myself away from the carcass. I remain sitting with my head between the rib bones as a drowsy almost euphoric sensation slowly spreads throughout my body. An unfamiliar but lovely warmth is filling my chest, slowly seeping out into my limbs. The terror is gone, the nausea is gone. All I feel is satisfaction.

When I lift my head and face the man-demon his eyes and teeth no longer frighten me, instead the look beautiful. The blood that covers him does not become me. I look down at my own chest and lift my hands towards my neck and chin. I too am now covered in blood. I stand up and look at the man-demon with the same curiosity he seems to be watching me with. Two monsters studying each other with wonder and, something I now understand must be, excitement. The scents that surround us, the hot blood running down my skin, the heavy taste in my mouth. Something unfathomable is happening. I can feel my body changing. The blood around us is turning a deeper red, its smell more complex, full of meaning to me now. The sounds are amazing; the trees, the wind, the wild animals, my own breath - but most of all his heart. Its steady pounding fills my head, as if there is nothing else in this world. For the first time in my life I know that everything will be alright - I am finally free.









I would like to thank Little Gothic Horrors, WicKED Way and Annie Walls
for hosting this, my very first, blog hop. I've had so much fun!
 I would also like to thank the other participants who have posted good stuff,
left kind comments and befriended me at blogspot during this week :)

Hope to see you again soon!

 


 



22 kommentarer:

  1. Nice twist :)

    I liked the transformation of experience at the end. You made the change of perspective plausible and smooth.

    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you! I didn't even think of it as a twist :)

      Radera
  2. You did a great job translating. I had no trouble understanding it, and I really liked the ending! Thanks for the read! :-)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you for reading! When I go back to stories I've written in English I always find myself face-palming over weird "swenglish" phrases and repetitive word choices.

      Radera
  3. I almost died when I read, "Is that liver?" Too awesome. You have a thing for amazing lines that convey the moment phenomenally. Another example is "The blood around us is turning a deeper red, its smell more complex, full of meaning to me now." The last 6 words say it all.

    Thanks for a great tale ;-)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you so much Magaly! Your opinion is worth alot.

      Radera
  4. Liver... with a side of fava beans...

    SvaraRadera
  5. Nicely done, Ms. Misantropia - I thoroughly enjoyed that! :D

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Radera
  6. Your writing is absolutely fabulous! (I can't believe English is not your first language!) Thank you so much for participating in MMM. I've loved all your posts! :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. That's so nice of you to say! I have enjoyed myself :)

      Radera
  7. As with Little Gothic Horrors says: I cannot believe that English is not your first language. Your story was impressive and evocative. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. :-)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you! I get ridiculously proud when I get compliments on my English :)

      Radera
  8. Such creativity! It's been nice getting to know your blog through this hop.

    SvaraRadera
  9. A thoroughly enjoyable read : )

    The perfect finale!

    SvaraRadera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...